Setting up L2TP VPN in Windows 7 is very easy. You just need to follow the steps given below.
- First, click on Start Menu and type Network. Then select the “Network and Sharing Center
- Click on “Set up a new network”
Now you will need to enter the server information.
- In the text box labelled “Internet address” type VPN server host name you will find here.
- In the text box labelled “Destination name” type “iPrivate VPN” or whatever you want. This is the name of the connection, and will show up in the “Connect to a network” screen when we’re done.
- Then click the “Create” button.
Enter your IPrivate VPN username and password
- In this screen, enter your VPN username and password.
- In the text box labeled “User name:”, enter username.
- In the text box labeled “Password:”, enter your password.
- Optionally, check the “Remember this password” checkbox and you won’t have to enter your password when you connect to .
- Then, click the “Create” button.
Go to the connection
- Click on the Start Menu, type the word “Network” into the search box, and click on “Network and Sharing Center”.
- When the Network and Sharing Center opens, click on “Connect to a network”.
- When you click on “Connect to a network”, a list of VPNs pops up. Right click on the “My VPN” connection (the VPN connection just created) and choose “Properties”.
Change the VPN type to L2TP
- In the “Properties” of new VPN connection, click on the “Type of VPN” pop up menu and select “L2TP/IPsec”.
- Next, click on the “Advanced Settings” button.
- Also, check the “Allow these protocols” options and select “Unencrypted password (PAP)”
- Even though it says unencrypted PAP, the password is sent through a secure and encrypted L2TP layer of transmission.
Set the Preshared Key
- In the “IPsec Settings” dialog, click the radio button labeled “Use preshared key for authentication”. Then type “VPNPSK” into the textbox labeled “Key”. Then click the “OK” button.
- This screen shows you the network settings. You may have different items in your list. In the list of items that you see, make sure that only the “Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)” and “Client for Microsoft Networks” items are checked. If other protocols are checked, uncheck them by clicking on the checkbox.
IPrivate VPN currently does not route anything except TCP/IP version 4.
- You’re now done with your setup! You’ve set up your IPrivate VPN connection to use L2TP.
- Click “OK” to finish now, and then connect to our VPN server by this connection.